State of SC Resources for Older Adults and Family Caregivers
Did you know?
- Unpaid family caregivers provide 80% of all long term care in the U.S.
- Family caregivers are at higher risk for stress, depression, physical and financial problems, and increased mortality.
- These problems may impede their ability to give care now and support their own care needs in the future.
- The caregiver’s own physical health is an influential factor in the decision to place an impaired relative in a long term care facility.
The Economic Impact on Family Caregivers is significant – consider:
- The average caregiver foregoes $659,139 in salary and retirement benefits over the course of a lifetime.
- U.S. businesses lose $11 to $29 billion per year due to decreased productivity by stressed working caregivers and replacement costs when employees resign to become full‐time caregivers.
Visit the SC Lt. Governor’s Office on Aging for additional information on resources like the Alzheimer’s Resource Coordination Center, Emergency Rental Assistance, Medicare/Medicaid assistance, and more.